Read the transcripts of Treaty of Saint Mary’s and John Johnston Letter to Thomas Rotch Regarding the Treaty of Saint Mary's.
- Why are the Myaamia told they should sell their land?
- What are they offered in return?
Both of these documents are written from an American perspective. Using what you have learned in this section, write a letter from the perspective of a Myaamia responding to Thomas Rotch, John Johnston, and the American government. In your response consider these questions:
- How do you feel about the terms in the treaty?
- What do you think of John Johnston’s perceptions of the treaty and American Indians?
- What would you propose as an alternative solution to selling the land and moving?